Posted: 2005-04-26 / Author: Alan Rae
Market Research 101 - How To Really Understand Your MarketClass outline
One of the classic mistakes that companies make is to sell what we want to produce rather than what the customer wants to buy.
This class gives a simple practical overview of market research - how to go about assessing how many people want how much of what you would like to sell them (or failing that at least how much of something else near enough that you can deliver it – PROFITABLY).
Purpose of the Class
To deliver an understanding of the different approaches to market research that exist and to indicate what things the small company can reasonably do for itself – and which ones it should get professional help for.
· Why would you do it
· How would you do it
· The FSPIDER approach
· Desk vs field research
· Using the Web
· Qualitative vs Quantitative techniques
· What can you do yourself
· How to brief an agency
Questions this Class will answer
· How can I find out how big the market is?
· How can I find out what my competitors are up to?
· How can I work out what (else) my customers want to buy?
And how can I tell them about it most effectively?
Common problems this class will help you overcome
· Flying Blind
· Wasting money and time on expensive research
· Focusing on us rather than the market
· Selling things the market doesn’t want
· How to commission a research agency